... a girl classic MUST HAVE bag but do you know all the beauty behind it.
* Handmade in leather and named after actress and singer Jane Birkin
* The bag is a symbol of wealth due to its high price and elusiveness to the public
* Its prices range from $9,000 to $150,000
* Costs escalate according to the type of materials.
* In 1981, Hermès chief executive Jean-Louis Dumas was seated next to Jane Birkin on a flight from Paris to London.
* Birkin explained to Dumas that it had been difficult to find a leather weekend bag she liked.
*In 1984, he created a black supple leather bag for her. She used the bag for herself then later changed her mind. Nevertheless, the bag has since become an icon.
Design* The bag also has a variety of hides such as calf leather, ostrich, crocodile, and lizard.
* One of the most expensive is saltwater crocodile skin.
* Hardware is updated regularly to maintain the top quality available in the industry at time of production.
* The metal lock may be covered with leather as a custom option. Diamonds are another custom addition.
* Hermès offers a "spa treatment" – a reconditioning for overly used bags.